Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My mashed potatoes


I really like mashed potatoes and detest the texture of pureed potatoes, which is what is usually served as mashed potatoes. To me pureed potatoes taste like glue and lose their potato flavour the more they are processed. I consider them probably best for the sensitive stomachs of babies!

Ingredients
6 small potatoes cut into 1” cubes
2 scallions
a handful of parsley
2 Tbsp soft butter
1/2 a whole nutmeg
Salt & pepper

Method
Wash the potatoes and cut into 1” cubes, put in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium to high heat, when the water boils reduce the flame to low. Put a lid at an angle over the pan so that a small vent is made.



While the potatoes are cooking chop the scallions and parsley finely.





Put the parsley and scallion into a bowl. Using a microplane grate the nutmeg into the bowl.







If the butter is hard from the refrigerator cut it into tiny pieces and add to the bowl, otherwise add it as is.


Add salt and pepper to taste. When the potatoes are tender drain them and add to the bowl. Using a fork mash the potatoes and mix them with the scallions, parsley, nutmeg, butter and salt and pepper. I like to keep them chunky, but you can mash them further until they are the texture you prefer. Add more butter, if you like. My mother, who taught me to make mashed potatoes, liked to add an egg. We had a large family so one egg wasn't that noticeable in the large quantity. I don't like to add an egg to this small amount, so I don't use it and have come to prefer my potatoes without it.



Check the seasoning and serve
Serves 3 - 4


No comments:

Post a Comment